We are a quintessential English pub, and endeavour to uphold the little extra touches that our customers hold in high regard. Whether it’s fresh flowers on the tables or a welcoming open fire on cold winter days, the inn remains true to its character.
The Swettenham Arms is a delightful 16th Century Inn concealed behind a 13th Century Parish Church. A former Nunnery, the inn was used as a resting place for weary funeral parties. Whilst relatives and loved–ones stayed overnight, the bodies were taken to the church via an underground tunnel for a funeral the following day.
Today, St. Peters Church still towers over the car park, its’ melodious bell chimes occasionally intercepting the peace of the tiny Cheshire village. Meanwhile, present-day visitors to the Swettenham Arms are drawn by the prospect of food and refreshments after a pleasant stroll/bike ride in the surrounding countryside, or from a visit to The Quinta Arboretum next door!
Given the nature of the history of our Inn, it may not be too surprising for customers to hear that there has been a number of ghost sightings in the area, including one at the inn itself!
On 15th November 2005 a customer was enjoying a meal in the dining room. During the meal, a ghostly apparition appeared at the fireplace
The ghost appeared to be the figure of a nun dressed in black. She spoke to the customer. The customer subsequently went to see the local vicar of St. Peters Church (opposite) who confirmed the ghost had been seen on previous occasions.
Since then, we have been informed that in 1952 the rectory was exorcized by the local vicar to release troubled spirits. In January 2006, The Congleton Paranormal Society conducted a vigil at the pub during the night. The findings of which were published in the local press. More vigils are planned. Paranormal magazine ‘Ghost Voices’ also produced an article on the Swettenham Arms in May 2009.